Skip to main content

Nouveau Summer Project : The End and The Beginning

The following are the IRC nicks of two Nouveau contributors without whom I wouldn't be where I am and none of this would be possible. I could never thank them enough for keeping up with my noobness. Thanks guys!

mupuf : Martin Peres  
Email: martin.peres@labri.fr | mupuf.org

mwk : Marcin Koƛcielnicki  
Email: koriakin@0x04.net | http://0x04.net/~mwk/reblog/



The end and the beginning refers to two things, the end of the X.Org EVOC program and the beginning of a new Nouveau contributor. The experience till now has proved to massive learning opportunity, at the same time rewarding as I was able to actually implement code and obtain results.
I started off as someone who was completely alien to such low-level programming and have grown to be someone who actually loves it more than the stuff he used to do. My student life began as web-developer, engaging in which gave instant results and was hugely motivating at every step to progress further. It has been a long journey from there to where I am. After working with some awesome people at Nouveau, I realize that thinking at different levels which is required not, only makes you a better developer but also enhances your thought process. Personally, I feel like they have a compiler in their head. :P
Very early on, I knew and realized that a very important link in the documentation was missing. Even though the documentation had more detail and relevant information than I expected to, it still left a lot of room for newbies to get lost in. I feel this was the reason I had felt that documentation needed A LOT of work to be done. While working however I felt that it was nicely written and had most of the required elements in good detail. I discussed about the missing link with mwk and mupuf. mwk showed an unexpected level of interest and came up with something truly remarkable. With some small recommendations from me, he created the intro.txt. This document not only fills the hole and directs newbies to a starting point but does so very beautifully complete with schematics ( I have no clue how he made the schematics! They are amazing!). You can find it here:

https://github.com/pathscale/envytools/blob/master/hwdocs/intro.txt

The second phase of EVOC was no doubt more productive as compared to the first but was also filled with quite a few hurdles. This meant that I had hoped to achieve more but couldn't. Firstly, the pdaemon to host communication which I had thought was ready to go. showed many bugs during testing. Then very early in this phase, I had caught fever. Catching a fever was not the main issue, the issue was that I had to run around applying for my visa while I was sick. A two day fever extended to a 2-week turmoil. Soon enough the proposed EVOC deadline was approaching and my college had officially started. Even though I was on a leave till the date of deadline, I ran in to trouble because I was repeatedly called to attend meetings as I am the student head of multiple college activities. Hence, I felt I had not implemented sufficient amount of code by the end date. Now, I had to manage between college and Nouveau. This would still have been easy but at the same I also had to get stuff ready for my trip to XDC2012 and prepare for some college exams. These exams turned up exactly a day before my flight i.e. tomorrow! So now, I will get back to my studies so that I can give two exams tomorrow and rush to catch my train to Delhi. It is going to be awesome to say the least. :P I guess I am a person who likes to keep himself overly busy. Technical fest of the college and Software Freedom Day are just around the corner. Oh! and how could I forget the college placements (recruitment process by organizations to hire students; I do need a job ;) ) which starts just over a week from now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nouveau - Summer Project

Implementing a software scripting engine on Fermi to achieve safe memory re-clocking. Fermi stands for Nvidia GPUs based on Fermi architecture. NVidia cards have long had the possibility to reclock at least some of the engines of its GPUs. Up to the geforce 7 (included), reclocking used to happen at boot time and usually didn't involve memory reclocking at all. It changed with geforce 8 (nv50) where almost all laptops got the capability to reclock both the VRAM and the main engines. This was introduced in order to lower power consumption when the GPU was mostly idle. The default boot clocks were usually in some intermediate state between the slowest and the fastest clocks. The reclocking process for these cards is mostly understood and Nouveau is not far from being safely reclock on the fly, even while gaming. Geforce 200 (nva3) introduced load-based reclocking on all the cards. This started being a real problem because the default boot clocks are a third to a half of the

uCharts - Financial Charting API

A few months back, the first stable release of the charting API, that I have been working on was released. A part of the uTrade product portfolio, it has been aptly named uCharts. uCharts is a general purpose charting API with prime focus on financial markets and data. In this post, I will give a brief overview of the features, compatibility and scope of extensions. Features The API currently supports 6 types of charts: Line Area CandleStick OHLC Bar Pie It has been designed in a manner that all aspects of the charts are user defined. Starting from the color of the charts, width of the candle bars till the number of ticks on each axis. Mentioning each element seems like a futile exercise. However, brushing over a few notable features seems more fruitful. Aggregation Formula The number of data points that can be displayed on a screen or inside a DIV is limited by its resolution. The number of pixels available can lead to a severe limitation especially

Getting Started with Open Source Projects

Fellow Open-source Enthusiasts Going to conferences is great , getting inspired by attending them is even better but you know what is better? Getting to attend conferences [National/International] for free , getting cool stickers and t-shirts being delivered at your place , being one of the first few to get your hands on a developer device or developer release of an upcoming software/OS and all this for free! I will hopefully be pardoned by true open-source enthusiasts for making this look like an advertisement rather than a motivator but I somehow couldn't resist.  Now , ignoring the above perks because they are 'perks' , the real deal is getting to learn while you work. Being involved with any open-source project brings along a great deal of learning , experience and contribution to real-time projects which people around the globe use in their daily lives. Once you are into development and learning , conferences make a whole lot of more sense as you actually ge